Perspectives on Life

In my life outside the virtual world I am a manager. I run 4 departments and have a bunch of people who report to me. People say this all the time, so feel free to roll your eyes, but we are pretty close. We are a family, if you will. A work family. The work we do can be difficult, the people we serve are most definitely challenging. Sometimes our work is boring and tedious. It is one of those workplaces where people laugh a lot. When something horrible happens to one of us, we all feel it.

Recently a member of my work family got sick. The doctors could not figure out what was wrong despite poking and prodding and fussing for two months. The whole time this person got sicker and sicker, visibly declining before our eyes. She went into the hospital last week and by yesterday afternoon she was dead. She was 34 years old and a single mom. She leaves behind a 12 year old son and confused, broken-hearted friends and family. How can something like this happen without any explanation? No one is offering us an answer. Perhaps there is no answer.

So - an unstable grid, the configuration of the flipping pie menu, the location of adult activity on the grid, petty disputes between bloggers, claims of intellectual property theft because someone uses an idea you claim as your own, concern about lag caused by virtual chickens -- I am feeling a little perspective about it all today.

8 comments:

Peter Stindberg said...

I am sorry for your loss, and sorry for the family of the woman.

I am glad though to read that there still ARE companies where the employees and managers work together, and not against each other. Where it gets NOTICED if you have a problem, and where your coworkers take an INTEREST.

I wish I would work for such a company.

Tymmerie Thorne said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your co-worker's family and all of the people who worked with her. We do need to be reminded of what is truly important - the "trials" of SL are truly non-issues. Thank you for sharing this and reminding me of that.

Lizzie Lexington said...

I am very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing. We all need a reminder of what is truly important in life.

Krissy Muggleston said...

Sending prayers your way, especially for that little boy.

Ari Blackthorne™ said...

Ditto.

Okay, allow me to qualify that...

If you were to go into the deep history of my Common Sensible blog - you'd see I was a rather uncouth, loud mouth. I never really did take the grid or anything else in-world too seriously.

I remember times when the grid would turn upside-down and my sims go offline for hours on end. I laughed while others were screaming at the top of their lungs on the SL blog.

Now, these days, in-world and even on my blogs and wherever else, I've 'chilled-out' considerably. Practically anything and everything Second Life-related I take with a grain of salt and a deep chortle.

Because the important things are the here and now. 'Here' being the real living, breathing me.

I got my perspectives straight. I also am suffering a "first life" trial with a loved-one's health and so I offer my condolences and understanding.

I am sorry that it was such an event, sudden and surprising as it is, that gives you to intense perspective realignment that is forced upon you (not that your perspectives were askew to begin with).

I guess what I'm trying to say is: I understand. I really, really do as I've not quite been there and done that, but I've come pretty damned close.

My best wishes for as much comfort for you and yours as much as possible in such a trying time.

Lionesse Vandyke said...

Very sorry to read this, my thoughts go out to all the people that are left behind. I don't know your collegue but when something like this happens it makes you think of the most important thing in life and that is love, the love you recieve from family, friends, collegues and the love you give back. If someone we give love to leaves so sudden we stay behind with that piece of love that was supposed to be for that person and that makes us sad, angry, confused...but that piece of love will always be meant for that person. It never goes away, it will always be in our hearts and that piece of love we will keep on giving to that person.

chestnut rau said...

Thank you all very much. I appreciate your kind words.

Queen Coronet said...

Chestnut, such sadness. Thank you for sharing this moment, your thoughts, and for the dose of perspective. Very sorry for your loss. Queenie.