Build Tools & Friends Who Share Knowlege

I blogged about the difficulties I was anticipating when I textured the roof of the structure I am building. There are lots of angles and I used path cut prims to make it all work and I was having a heck of a time getting the shingle texture to line up. I was working and my friend Pan and I got talking because she dropped a really adorable house sign on me. Of course it says "Chestnut Street" and when I get a second it will be on the front of my house for sure.

Anyway, I was moaning about the texturing problem and Pan came over (in her lovely Christmas ball gown) and told me about an amazing tool so I thought I would share it here. The tool is called JeXtone Easy Texture and you can buy it here for $1,500 Linden and to me it is worth twice the price. The JeXtone allows you to apply textures to many prims at the same time and this clever little device makes sure everything lines up perfectly.


See the problem? No matter how I fussed and fiddled I could not seem to get the textures to line up even close to correctly. Of course roof shingles are linear so even minor misalignment jumps right out at you.


The JeXtone consists of a simple script which you drop in each prim, two "magic markers" and a HUD. You drop your textures in the HUD and place the markers at the top right and lower left of the object you want to texture.


The only slight trick is both the object you want to texture and the magic markers have to be on the axis. In other words, the rotation of your object must be at 0, 90, 180, or 270 or the JeXtone gets confused.

You make sure the magic markers are pointing at the surface you want to texture, click on the texture in the HUD ....and.....magic! Perfectly applied texture. You can play with rotations and offsets and such using the HUD as well.


My build looks about 100% better now that I have the texturing of the roof fixed. Thank you so much Pan and thank you JeXtone.


One important thing I don't want to forget -- see the red button on the top of the HUD? It allows you to delete the scripts with the push of a button, which is a really nice feature. There is no need to add to script load on your sim unnecessarily!


ETA: Since I actually am in these photos I am going to call these 42 of 365 "Lame excuse for not taking a real selfie today"

3 comments:

Tymmerie Thorne said...

ZOMG! TY! I am so getting one of those!!

HellSpawneD Xingjian said...

OMG, I think I've spent more time aligning textures than building the bloody thing in the first place! Awesome tool!!

ahuva18 said...

this is a BRILLIANT tool!!! thank you both - Panacea and Chestnut- for sharing the knowledge! Wonderful tool to have.