You be the Judge - Art in Second Life

I am one of the many who have been asked to "judge" the UWA 3D Open art Challenge and the MachinimaUWA IV: Art of the Artists Contest.  Here is a link to the page where you can find all 83 machinima entries. Lately I have been watching hours and hours of machinima and looking at art work after art work.  My conclusion is the talent of people working in virtual worlds is staggering.  Please treat yourself and have a look.  SLurl to UWA Grand Finale

Now to the subject of judging - I am not a judge of what is relevant, good or otherwise valuable.  I look at the work, I decide "hey this is interesting" or "this made me laugh" or "who's stupid idea was glowing, full bright lime green?"  Please don't be intimidated by "art" and "artists statements" and people who make you feel like you are in no position to know what is "good art."  If you look at something and think that is just some glowy, spinny prim and I don't like it - then guess what? Its probably nothing more than a glowy spinny prim (possibly made by someone with a fancy pants name in the "art world.")  So what?

Trust your instincts about art. If it moves you or interests you or even makes you think "huh?" then it is good because the work has made you feel something and react. Anyone who tries to bamboozle you with fah fah fah words about laaaa dee dahh probably has spent a lot of time in academic settings.  Now please don't get me wrong, I am not trying to demean people who study art and art history and who educate the rest of us.  I strongly value all of that.  What I am saying is no one should be intimidated and not enjoy art in SL or anywhere else because they are fearful that they don't know enough or don't "get it."

Go.  Enjoy.  You be the judge.

1 comment:

Apmel said...

Couldn´t agree more.